Saturday, October 14, 2017

Progress Report

So my son got his progress report from NCA today, and I couldn't be happier.  He  is a solid B average, which for some parents may not seem like a big deal, but this was a child that was having  F's and D's last year.  This was a child that was disconnecting at his old school and if he didn't get it, would give up.  This was a child that thought school was boring.  This was a child who wouldn't do his work in class and wouldn't bring home work home.   Homework was a battle.  Math was torture.   Getting him to write was like pulling teeth.

Now, he is doing his lessons without anyone telling him to do so.  He is interested, actually likes school, something he hadn't said before.  Every day, I can check his lessons, and see if there's a problem.  I can see if he needs help, even if he doesn't ask.  And we can work on it right away, not find out about it and try to address it at a quarterly meeting.

He is thriving.  He is thinking outside the box.  Today, when he was stumped by a paper he had to write on Alexander the Great, I told him to make a comic of his life, instead of using an outline.  We worked through the paper, but he enjoyed making the comic, so the research he did to support his comic was done, but he didn't see it as work, because he was making a comic.

I love how NCA gets the student.   They can see that a student might learn with a different learning style.   It fosters a learn,ing environment.

We are all learning with Connections.   I love it because I can see, right away, if there's a problem.   We can work through it together.   If we are both stumped, we can email a teacher and get a response very quickly.  So for me, I love it because I can work with him and I know exactly what he is learning and what he needs help with.   I can recognize immediately if he is struggling, vs. finding out at a parent teacher conference

For Clay, the difference is amazing to me.  His teacher called us to personally this week, to speak with Clay, and find out how things were going, and see if he had any concerns,   She asked what his favorite thing about NCA was, and he said, "I can take more breaks".   I laughed to myself, but the difference I see is so readily apparent.

He is not failing anymore.   He is interested.   He is not distracted by other kids talking or goofing off in lessons.  He cannot say, "Nope, I don't have homework," because I know!   I can check on his lessons and we can work together on something if I see he isn't grasping the concept.  Right away.  Not quarterly, after realizing this at parent teacher conferences.

I appreciate teachers, especially since we have started this journey.   His old teachers, while he was enrolled in the traditional brick and mortar public school (B&M for short), were great.   But they had a whole classroom of students, each with individual needs and learning styles, and they had an hour to get that lesson across.  They also had to deal with behavioral issues.  So to spend individual time on each lesson, with each student, was just not feasible.

With NCA, it IS possible.  He HAS a public education.  He has qualified, educated, certified teachers.  He also has his parents, AKA learning coaches, who follow his education, and know immediately when he is struggling.  We know when he has an assessment, or test, and can help him review.   We can see if he's struggling on an assignment and can help him review.

The other day, he was frustrated by a paper he had to write on Alexander the Great, so I told him, "Make a comic of this.  Draw your story.", and he did.   Because he doesn't like writing, but he loves to draw comics.  So, I thought, why not get him engaged with making a comic about this?  And, it worked!  After he drew his pictures of important life events of Alexander the Great, he was able to form a rough draft of his paper.   The comic was his outline.  But in making his comic,  he researched to get more information, cited (with coaching) that information, wrote down facts, and learned history.   And thought it was fun!

He is able to take art class now, something wasn't available at his other school, due to lack of funding. He loves to draw, and is really enjoying this.  He is learning computer skills, how to type, how to create files, and organize his work.  He is learning how to write and format papers.   Many of his classes involve class discussions, where he has to post a question or statement, and respond to others, so he is participating in his NCA classes more than he did at his old school.   NCA also has multiple clubs the students can join, with fun activities and opportunities to learn.   Clay signed up for the gaming and technology club, where he  will learn how to write codes, make his own games, and share with other gamers.

He is thriving.  His brother is thriving, and they are both learning and growing.   This is why we love Connections.



No comments:

Post a Comment