Sunday, September 10, 2017

Well, that didn't turn out as planned.

So today I saw what looked like an awesome recipe for seitan fried chicken, and it was sadly, all lies.  My husband spit it in the trash and said it was "rancid".  The boys didn't like either.  The traitors.  Actually, it didn't taste like chicken.  At. All.  But I've had good seitan, so I'm pretty sure it was the recipe.

It was okay slathered with bbq sauce.  Okay, so it was an epic fail.   I ate it because I was starving after working a 12 hour shift.

 It was just rubbery, and too heavy a flavor.  So, back to the drawing board.   Also, I  had better with steaming the seitan, so that's probably what I need to do.  Or cooking it wrapped in cheesecloth.  It expands to alien like proportions, otherwise, when cooked in the broth.   I kept waiting for it to sprout fangs and devour me.

My husband was no help.  He suggested that next time, I try chicken.  I can't repeat my suggestion to him.

So next time:  Smaller batch.  Different seasonings, and research steaming or baking it.

I figure I can make it work, it just takes a few attempts.

My very first cooking attempt was vanilla pudding when I was ten years old, which went horribly. I scorched it and the pan, and it was not good. At all.  But I learned from that, and figured out how to make alot more than pudding.  So right now, cooking vegan is all new, but I'll figure it out, just like I figured out how to cook when I was a kid.

Many of my co-workers remain unimpressed with my non meat recipes.  I hope to wow them, but let's face it.  Rubbery seitan that is still somewhat water logged in the broth it was cooked in is not going to wow anyone.

Actually, I hope to wow myself, but this week, that hasn't happened.  I certainly haven't wowed my family.   I mean, like Crocodile Dundee once said, "it tastes like shit, but you can live off of it", can apply to a few of the things I've tried this week, but I'd rather not further that trend.

And I like cooking for others.   And if the others don't like it, then it's time to try something new.

So back to the drawing board, or I guess cutting board, it is.  Every day is a brand new day, iwth new beginnings and new opportunities.  Let's see what tomorrow brings.



1 comment:

  1. Yes you'll figure it out, Nora. Kudos for all your effort and creativity!!

    ReplyDelete