Wednesday, August 30, 2017

Creativity in the kitchen

So after my two boys announced they wanted to try a 5 day vegan challenge, it challenged ME to eat strictly vegan this week.  We have tried lots of new foods and have found a few favorites.  The boys liked the vegan cheese cake I made, and today I made a vegan Butter which was amazing.  It taste's better than anything store bought.   Seriously.  I decided to search vegan butter recipes after looking taking our cat Monkey to the vet (after shelling out $180 for diabetic cat food, insulin and office visit and shots), and reviewing this week's budget.  Instead of buying an expensive brand at the store, could I make my own?  I could.  And it was glorious.  

On that same note, I also tried some vegan sausage (Andouille).   The first batch was good, but wasn't as spicy as I liked, so I looked around online and found some regular recipes and changed it up a bit with spices from the non vegan recipes.    The next batch was much spicier version, and even my youngest approved and he normally hates sausage, but loves spicy food.    So today was a win!  And, as I had all the ingredients on hand, it was cheaper than buying pre-made vegan sausage.  the vital wheat gluten was the most expensive ingredient and that was just under #6 for a bag.   Two weeks ago, I didn't know what vital wheat gluten was!

So today's creation involved the original recipe:

vegan jambalaya with andouille sausage


And then, because I wanted more heat, I did some more searching and came up with Emeril's recipe for andouille sausage.

He had a signature spice mixture that he added, which I made:

Essence Seasoning

I added about 1/4 cup of this to my recipe, and since sage and thyme were in this seasoning, omitted it from the original recipe.  I also omitted the soy sauce, since I didn't want that soy taste.

I then borrowed from Emeril's andouille Sausage Recipe, and used

1 TBSP paprika
2 cloves elephant garlic
1/2 tsp. salt,
1/2 tsp. chili powder
1/2 tsp cayenne pepper
1/2 tsp. cumin

instead of the spices called for in original vegan recipe.  The recipe did call for file' powder, which I did not have on hand, so did not use.

The results was a vegan sausage that was tasty yet hugely spicy.   Just what we wanted.   I'm pretty happy with how it turned out.   I want to experiment with some "beef" flavored spices, but this is my first batch and I think it's pretty good.  

So tomorrow, we feast on Jambalaya.

I also made a cashew ricotta, which I have to test out in a vegan lasagna.   It's actually a vegetarian recipe, that I want to make vegan.   Zuchinni, red pepper lasagne.  I just have to make a vegan mozerella and vegan pesto, and I can try it out.  Once tested, will let you know the results.  Hopefully, good.   It sounds amazing.

Over the weekend, we tried some awesome Mozzarella cheese sticks from Vegan Richa's blog, and they were amazing.  They lasted about 5 minutes.   Everyone, even my totally meat eating hubby, loved these.

As for the meat eating hubby, he has been extremely supportive throughout my vegan transition, and has sportingly tried out all my recipes and has given his input on all recipes tried..

We have had fun trying out new things and have all tried things we never would have tried before had I not tried the vegan route.   It's all about new beginnings.  It's never too late to start something new.

Here's to new beginnings.  Here's to changing.  Here's to growing.   Here's to trying new things and being open to options.   Here's to kindness.   Here's to being open minded.   I am so proud of my husband and kids for being open to trying this with me, even though they all love meat, and dairy.  

We have had honest, non judgmental conversations.   It's not about making a person feel bad for liking meat, it's about raising awareness about other options.   I will love my family no matter what diet they choose.   I love them for being willing and open to try.   That is a bigger step than many will ever make.  That is family.  Working together, and supporting each other's choices, even when that choice isn't your own.

It is also slightly humbling.   They are watching me, especially my kids.   My choices, even the little ones, are important.  Because someone is always watching.   They will notice if I give in to the easy option.  They will also notice if I stay true to the course.   They will notice if I say something matters and then decide later it does not.   So it keeps me focused on what is important.  

Almost 2 months meat free and I feel great.   I have also been exercising, and can do things now that I couldn't do a month ago.   I am more fit.   I am more toned.   I feel good.  Life is good.   Sometimes, after a 12 hour shift at work, I feel tired.   I don't feel like cooking,  I am hungry.   But instead of stopping at a fast food place, I eat healthy now.  I feel healthier!  

When I first changed my diet, vegan wasn't even an option; I thought, "no way could I try that!".   But my friend Meagan went vegan, and I realized it was possible.   Having watched other friends overcome extreme obstacles and accomplish their goals, I realized this too, was possible.  Alot of things that we think aren't possible actually are.   We just have to change our mindset.  My friends have taught me that.  My husband has taught me that.  

So here's to determination, and courage and being open to possibilities.  Because possibilities are endless.  

No comments:

Post a Comment