Saturday, August 19, 2017

One Week In...

Happy Friday, everyone!

We have been doing our online school for a week now, and I'm quite happy with how it has been going.   My oldest, who was getting F's and D's, is now passing his quizzes.   He got up at 6 am the past two days to start class early!   He is working ahead.  Both the boys are ahead, but the change in my oldest, from hating school to this eager interest, is astonishing.  

Today, my sixth grader learned to do internet research.   We did a little project, and talked about reliable sources.   We talked about "click bait", and why some sites weren't reputable, and signs that a site was probably not a reliable source.   It was an interesting and very relevant project.  

His job was to read two stories, choose which one he wanted to research, and then form a question and then research it.   One was a story about an old man who's family was impatient with him as he became old and clumsy, until they realized they were being hurtful;  the other was a story about a wolf pack.  

Clay's compassion was evident when he chose the story about the old man, and so his question was, are old people really treated like this?   So, we went to the internet and found some facts and figures about elder abuse.   We read that 4-6 % of elders in this country experience some form of elder abuse, which sounds like a small number, until it stated that was around 400,000 people.   So we were able to talk about that, and how these people could be helped.  

It was just a small lesson, but I watched him learn.  I watched him understand and not just learn how to research the internet and how to choose reliable sites, but I watched him form his own questions and think.   It's only been a week, and I'm loving this.  I'm loving being a part of his learning, much more than I was a part of before.

Ethan is also doing well.   He has enjoyed his classes, and we have fun little projects we can do to help him apply what he's learning.   In science, he learned about the scientific process.   So, instead of just reading about "hypothesis", he got to make his own hypothesis.

His hypothesis was that all big dogs drooled.   Then, he thought about it and decided that no, German Shepherds were big, but they didn't drool like Mastiffs.   So then we talked about Mastiffs and whether their mouth was the same or different than a German Shepherds.   And he realized that Mastiffs have droopy jowls.   So, he formed a new hypothesis.   That all dogs with droopy jowls drool.   So, because we couldn't go out and observe a bunch of dogs, we went to the internet again, and watched you tube videos of dogs.   And Ethan noticed that all the dogs with droopy jowls DID drool, so his observations supported his hypothesis.   A very simple hypothesis, but it helped him understand the process, and he had fun doing it.  

And the journey of watching them get it, is fun for me, and rewarding.


In addition to the regular classes they have "live lessons", which is a live stream video of their instructor teaching a lesson.   They are able to participate by typing in their answers and having discussions like a regular classroom. They both really enjoy the live lessons as well.  

The teachers are very involved and very available.   They answer calls and emails with any questions or concerns promptly and schedule regular calls to check on the student and see how he/she is doing.  When Ethan's teacher called on Wednesday, to see how he was liking his school, he was very enthusiastic and very talkative and kept calling her "dude".   I was amused, but had to gently remind him that he had to call his teacher Mrs. so and so and not "dude".  

But seeing him and his brother so enthusiastic and excited about learning is wonderful.  Ethan has always loved school, but his brother, not so much.  So watching him realize that learning is fun and interesting is beautiful.   Seeing him gain confidence every day tells me that yes, I did the right thing. It's like watching a butterfly emerge from its cocoon.

His favorite class and thing he is most excited about is art.   He loves to draw comics.  I am forever finding sheets of paper with his comics on them.   So we decided that since he is finishing lessons early, he can start an extra credit project of making his own comic book.  

Today, he drew this on the whiteboard, all though he pointed out he had just redrawn a comic he had seen done by a you tube blogger, who he assured me was famous (how could I not know?) and it wasn't his original comic.  But he has plenty of his own.  But this one amused me.


Apparently silver bullets don't kill vampire, but it does make them grouchy if they are shot.   Last year, he drew alot of comics during class, instead of doing work, so while he can't do that here, I think the comic book project after his regular work is completed (and done correctly) will encourage his talent.  

What I love about an online school is you can make it work to fit your family, instead of making your family work to fit the school.    If he's interested in something, we can find a way to make it a learning experience.   When we get to the point of having enough comics to publish, we can learn all about editing, printing, and even publishing, etc.  

I never thought that I'd be home schooling my kids.  I didn't have the experience or credentials to teach.   But this works for us because they HAVE teachers that have the credentials and experience and knowledge.   I'm the learning coach.  But I get to see them grow and learn and watch them discover.  I get to be a bigger part of that then I was before because I'm spending more time with them.  

As a full time working mom, more time with them is always valuable, so this is a win-win for me.  I work three 12 hour shifts, and my husband works with them, and the rest of the week, I'm home with them.  

No more mad scrambles in the morning to find lost homework or book bags or errant shoes.   No more trying to help them with homework while trying to make supper and clean up a kitchen after. Now, we get up and have breakfast and Clay starts right away while I gulp down coffee, and Ethan, who is not much of a morning person, starts a little later.  We are done in the afternoon, and I have plenty of time to make supper and no rushing out to pick any one up or waiting around.

It's more work, because I have to check lessons and make sure the work is done  and keep up with correspondence with teachers, etc., but it is less stressful!

It has been a busy, but lovely week.  I enjoy seeing my kids learn and become more self-assured, confident, autonomous, and develop independent thinking.  I love seeing the "aha" moments.   I enjoy watching them take initiative and start lessons on their own, and not have to be nagged or begged to do school work.

I love that they can be whoever they want to be.  I love the possibilities.   I love that they are in a program where each child is unique and it is recognized that there are different learning styles.   Where learning and creativity is celebrated, not discouraged.  Where teachers aren't discouraged from going "outside the curriculum" when they use every day events as teaching moments.   Where teachers aren't discouraged from letting a student work ahead, because "everyone needs to be at the same level".  

I love this quote by Steve Jobs.  It quite literally feels like our new family theme.


We may not be geniuses in this house, but we are definitely square pegs in the round holes, and we are rebels.   We aren't perfect,  we don't always follow the status quo... or all the rules.  People probably think we're crazy for doing this.   And maybe we are... crazy enough to believe that with endless possibilities in front of them, they can change the world.   And maybe, with that crazy belief that anything is possible, with alot of love, determination, hard work, and perseverance, they just will.    

2 comments:

  1. Great blog, Nora! I'm glad its going so well!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So very, very cool, Nora! You are doing an AMAZING thing for Clay and Ethan! Thanks for sharing this! Can't wait to hear more!

    ReplyDelete