Thursday, August 3, 2017

Learning curve

Well, school starts on the 14th, and the computer came yesterday, so we set that up, and today I watched the Learning Success series for Connections Parents, AKA Learning Coaches.   I feel that I may be slightly insane for doing this, but I've been reviewing the curriculum and it is awesome.   So I keep telling myself it might be a little crazy at first, but I got this.   I want to see my children thrive, and learn and grow.   So when I feel overwhelmed, I remind myself why we wanted to do this in the first place.

The vegetarian thing is going well.  I've been finding lots of blogs and recipe sites.  I have been reading  some vegan blogs and decided to make vegan cheese.   But I didn't look at the recipe close enough and discovered I needed agar powder.   I also discovered I didn't know what that is.  So apparently, it's a substitute for gelatin.  I can't wait to buy it and see how it works.

I'm hoping it tastes better than the terrible "no cheese sauce" I made last weekend.  I followed the recipe exactly, but it was nothing like cheese.  At. All.  In fact, Ethan described the taste was like "a cow farting directly into my mouth".   I'm not sure how he would know what that tasted like, but he has a pretty active imagination.   And it was a pretty accurate description.   So, I'll never make that recipe again, and try something new.   I also found a recipe for Queso dip, which I LOVE, so if i can find a good vegan queso dip, I'll be pretty happy.

Yesterday, we made avocado brownies, and they were pretty good.   We also tried some avocado ice cream, which was not such a hit.   Ethan couldn't make up his mind on whether he liked it or not.   It had an interesting flavor.   It tasted good, but it was very unusual.

Four avocado desserts. You won't believe how good they are!

Last night's supper, sweet potato and red lentil stew wasn't a hit with the boys.   I guess red lentils are a no. They did like tonight's pizza, although they did pick off the veggies.  *sigh*

That's all for today's adventurous cooking.  I'll try to post about how the cheese making goes.

2 comments:

  1. You're from Wisconsin. Nothing will ever taste like cheese except cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could just picture it as you wrote! Great fun to read your blog, Nora!

    ReplyDelete